Tuesday, April 21, 2015

sansai recipes published


This is my third center-page feature in the Japan Times ST, and the second in a series of four-course etegami recipes sharing the same seasonal ingredient. The theme of this set is spring sansai, which includes the young leaves, shoots, and buds of several edible wild plants. You may remember that I posted a photo of the actual etegami in my March 20 post.

The word-image balance of this set is an improvement over the first set, which featured lily bulbs and was published in January. But the hand-written text still takes up more space than I like, so my goal is to simplify future layouts even more. The summer menu is due by late June, and the ingredient I've chosen for that set of recipes is umeboshi (salt-pickled ume, which are often translated plum, but are actually a kind of apricot). I do so enjoy this kind of work! (happy sigh)

5 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm excited for you. Looking forward to the umeboshi etegami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's marvelous!
    One publication at a time. It is perfect to my eyes.Would love to have this one page on my fridge...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great ! Congratulations with your publication !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to start from the beginning of your blog and read through the years, such an interesting website. Hopefully I can learn to etagami some day

    ReplyDelete