Wednesday, May 28, 2014

etegami uchiwa (bamboo flat fan)


My submission to a call to provide a local community center with hand-powered art fans this summer. These blank bamboo-framed flat fans (uchiwa) come packaged with two adhesive-backed washi cards. I used one of the washi cards to paint the flowers, which I then cut out and pressed against the fan. I wrote the words directly onto the fan. The words are from "Summertime," a popular song from the George Gershwin opera "Porgy and Bess" (1935).

For those who would like to paint their own fans this summer, blank fan kits can be purchased from my Etsy shop while supplies last.


2 comments:

  1. So pretty Debbie. You should put them in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the words and images wafting a breeze to cool you down!
    I am already thinking about poetry to write on a fan!

    ReplyDelete