Friday, March 16, 2012

sketchbook project-- limited edition


A few months ago, I signed up to participate in the Sketchbook Project- Limited Edition. I finished it today! This will be the third (and probably last) Art House Co-op-organized project that I will take part in. For my first Sketchbook I painted etegami depicting Japanese Proverbs. That one toured the US in 2011. For my second, I illustrated my English translations of four Ainu folktales. That one will be touring in 2012. My last Sketchbook is a collection of my Earthquake/Tsunami- themed etegami. I don't think this one goes on tour, but it (or part of it) will be included in a series of art books documenting the project. I feel good that I was able to honor the victims and survivors of the Great East Japan Earthquake/Tsunami in this last Sketchbook. In a way it gives me closure, but it will also help to remind me and others of a day that shouldn't ever be forgotten. When this Sketchbook gets digitized and posted on my Art House Co-op profile page, I'll let you know.

7 comments:

  1. Hi,Debbie,
    Wow, your work is brilliant!!! So heart-warming and nice! Hope everything goes well for your projects.
    Best wishes,Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it Debbie! I joined The Sketchbook Project a couple of years ago and got as far as the front cover. Sigh. I know they house them at the Brooklyn Library which would be so cool as my daughter lives in Brooklyn and we visit often. Darn. Maybe when I get more comfortable with drawing and painting, I'll try again.

    P.S. I have not forgot about feedback on your bookplates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting for a book of your etegami so I can buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the catfish! Awesome that you've finished 3 sketchbooks. I got as far as "Wow, that's a nice idea" :) Best of luck with all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have done lots. I love this piece, quite stunning on the brown paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie san, you are so creative.. I would love to see the creation!!! And donate towards the relief effort...
    And your Ainu folk tales. What a way to honor the ancestors of the place where you have made your home.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful work in your sketchbooks - I'll have to go back and read the stories in the 2nd when I get time! Looking forward to seeing the new one.

    ReplyDelete