Tuesday, October 25, 2011

miniature art


Until I met Vika, I had never considered that buttons could be works of art. Vika is an artist/craftsperson who makes buttons, pendants, and brooches from clays and metals. My ignorance probably has a lot to do with the fact that I never learned to sew or appreciate the tools and materials associated with clothes-making or fashion.

I was absolutely dumbfounded when Vika sent me some buttons she said had been inspired by my etegami (not pictured). Recently, she startled me even further with her earnest questions about the aesthetics and processes of Etegami. Her questions --and my answers-- resulted in an intriguing post on Beads of Clay, a blog for ceramic bead artists. It opened my eyes to the connections that she sees between Etegami and other Art in miniature. What do you think about the issues Vika raises?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your interview over on Beads of Clay. I like buttons too, i have a small collection of interesting buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Who woulda thought it? I love buttons and have a huge collection. My mother kept a tin box full of buttons that I inherited, and I've added to that collection over the years too. Thanks to you, Debbie, and to Vika, for bringing this lovely idea to me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete