Monday, September 12, 2011

illustration friday (boundaries)


Mending Wall has always been one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost, not only for the debate it provokes within me about walls and boundaries, but also for the humor in it.

Whenever I read the part about apple trees and pine cones, I picture a pine cone version of a horror movie in which apples go after the pine cones with a crazy hunger in their eyes and sharp, flashing teeth.

For this week's Illustration Friday, I only had time to throw together a collage using bits and pieces of etegami I've painted in the past. Mending Wall has so many other delicious lines that I'd like to use in etegami some day. Here are some more that I'm just itching to quote:

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.


7 comments:

  1. Great poem and a perfect illustration. I bet you could also create a wonderful illustration for William Carlos Williams' Poem, This is Just to Say. That's the one about the plums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you! Christine, the plum poem is just the sort that tickles my inspiration bone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son who is on the legal team for the local authority says that fences and boundaries are the #1 issue needing dispute resolution!, I will look up this poem for him.
    (Thrown together...Humph!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every week it's always something fresh from your bag! love the poem and the illustration both. "good fences make good neighbors" sets me pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this illustration so much, love the colors and the unexpectedness of it all <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's stick to the humor side and to your etegami!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely choices, Debbie. I agree with Anne. Unexpectedness is fun! Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets too. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete