Wednesday, December 15, 2010

japanese citron


A few weeks ago I received a box full of yuzu from a dear friend in Yokohama, far from the frigid, citrus-unfriendly climate of Hokkaido. She has a yuzu tree in her garden, and this is the second time she's shared this marvelous citrus fruit with me. Yuzu has uneven skin, with lots of irregular bumps and discolorations that make it the kind of subject etegami artists love to paint. What little juice the yuzu has is very tart, and used in cooking like vinegar or lemon juice. But it's the zest that we value the most. So WONderfully aromatic! I painted several etegami of this delightful gift fruit before I cut it all up, separating the juice from the rind, and freezing it for future use. The accompanying words are the Japanese version of the proverb I used in my previous post: Whoever refreshes others will be refreshed (Proverbs 11:25).

5 comments:

  1. I missed out on using the zest! Live and learn:)
    Beautiful, bright colors in your etegami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures! I visited my dad yesterday (I'm back in NZ at the moment) and he is growing yuzu here - might be one of the few places in NZ that is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. O loooove yuzu. Yuzu marmelade, oishiiiiiii....

    ReplyDelete
  4. デビーさん 昨日は 柚子湯に入って ポカポカあったまりましたよ。
    札幌は 雪ですね Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I'm not familiar with yuzu but I know your drawings from some time now and I looove them.
    Thanks for your nice comment on my carp :)

    ReplyDelete