Sunday, October 24, 2010

sketchbook project 2011 (part 3)





You may remember that I finished my sketchbook project a week or so ago, but was troubled about how to protect the pasted-on sections from popping off the slick, thin pages of the notebook. I ended up covering each page with the clear, adhesive plastic sheets that librarians protect books with. I was able to order it online, which is often a deciding factor for me, since severe arthritis and other health factors make it difficult for me to leave the house.

It being my first experience working with said adhesive sheet, I ended up wrinkling up quite a few pages of my book. But the majority turned out well, so I've sent off my project, wrinkled pages and all, to the Art House Co-op, way ahead of the Jan 15, 211 deadline. I wanted to send it off before the end of October, because I've had too many devastating experiences of having mail go missing when I send it in the months of November, December and January-- almost certainly because of holiday mail congestion.

All together (including the cover), 40 of my illustrated Japanese proverbs and sayings went into the book. I won't even try to post them all here. It was fun, and I made some lovely new friends through the project. After my sketchbook tours the US (along with all the other entries), it will be included in the permanent collection at the Brooklyn Art Library. Thanks to modern technology, I will be notified each time someone views my book. I think that's kind of cool. : )

13 comments:

  1. How lovely!

    Seeing your work presented like this, I think that this would make a beautiful gift book - have you thought about publishing? I'd buy it! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful job, Debbie. It's interesting how many of the proverbs have a western counterpart. We're all alike in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks wonderful!!
    May I ask where you got the plastic sheets? I have pasted a few of my illustrations in my book as well. It's saving me a lot of time filling the pages with new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, you kind and wonderful people!

    @studio lolo, I used a Japanese product ordered from a Japanese website. If you're still interested let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I second anchan's comment about publishing,it truly is very very delightful,kind of reminds me of an illustrated"pillowbook'.
    Also pleased to see "MY" cat made it onto the cover :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you're already finished with your book for the Sketchbook Project! That's impressive! :) I love the idea and the illustrations, especially the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work!
    I will return for sure with more time to have a nice calm browse through your other sketchbook illustrations as now I have to fly! Off to work! Stress! Stress! Stress!
    Thank you so much for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sketchbook is just gorgeous. What a unique style and voice. This will surely WOW the viewers. The scanned images are so lively, I can only imagine the impact this must make in person.
    Thanks so much for your wonderful comments on my blog the other day. Happy Creating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, Debbie. Love reading the translations and interpretations of the Japanese sayings. I agree, a book is in order. Kodansha, Stonebridge? I'd buy three.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Japanese character of these illustrations. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely sketchbook. I'm glad you pointed out about mail in Nov-Jan, it is something I'd not thought about, having said that I've not finished mine so it can't be sent off yet anyway. Thanks for your comments re my IF illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to buy a copy of this book you did...I am hoping you scanned the pages before sending away? Can you make a book with Mac or LuLu or CafePress to sell to your fans?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful,I really love it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete