Thursday, August 12, 2010

tea field photo & art contest




Haiku poet Aki Gibbons brought this photo & art contest to my attention a couple days ago, and though my time and attention have been tied up with house-guests, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. So today I stole away to draw for a few hours, just to get the etegami part of my mind limber again. The deadline is coming up quickly, but submissions are to be made electronically, so if you're interested in participating, you have till August 31.

I kind of like the teapot etegami myself, but it seems that the contest sponsor is hoping for submissions that have more to do with the planting and picking of tea, rather than the drinking of tea. As I don't feel that landscapes or detailed scenes are well-suited to etegami, I tried focusing on tea flowers.

The one with the green background is an etegami/collage hybrid, and the words are from the Chatsumi-uta (tea-picking song), a well-known tune that I learned as a child: "Pick, pick, pick. The leaves must be picked." The one with the white background is a traditional etegami and I borrowed the words from a pop song: "It's that time of year when the tea flowers are the best for viewing."

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it was houseguests keeping you away for a whole week!, you were missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, you sweet thing...@origa-me (said shyly with a friendly punch in the shoulder)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Etegami drawings. They all have that lovely Japanese simplicity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi @justdoodleit! Thanks for dropping by. :D

    ReplyDelete